man section for kernel functions?

Glenn Scott glenn at otto.COM
Wed Jan 27 15:52:01 AEST 1988

  Several years ago (many years ago ?), right after being unleashed on a
V6 PDP11, I wrote my own documentation for the Version 6 kernel.  I wrote
manual pages for nearly every function in the kernel in order to learn fast.
I say nearly because I got a copy of the Lions book which helped me enough
to remove the motivation for finishing.

  Later, I did write a complete set of manual pages for 4.1bsd.  I probably
still have them on one of the tapes somewhere under my bed.  Given suitable
encouragement I could probably find them.

  Although I understand the attraction for being able to hop around in the
kernel with a manual in your hands, I really recommend writing your own
manual pages, or documentation (I'm sure some will disagree with me).
It's a good way to systematically study the kernel very hard.  Something you
must do to be able to make intelligent assessments, additions and changes.

Glenn
----
Glenn Scott  Las Vegas Sun  Las Vegas, Nevada (702) 435-4651
{hoptoad,utah-gr,mirror,ihnp4}!otto!glenn