lp: SysV/BSD interoperability

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Sat Sep 24 03:58:01 AEST 1988

As quoted from <160 at leibniz.UUCP> by tpc at leibniz.UUCP (Tom Chmara):
+---------------
| We have a number of different workstations around here.  I'm having trouble
| trying to get the HP workstations (which use the AT&T System V spooling
| facilities) to be able to use the SUN file server's printer (SUN uses the
| Berkeley spooling facility).
+---------------

I'd set up an lp despooler to spool the print job to the Sun, then use the
System V spooler.  You can either use a single spool queue and specify the
Sun spool queue in the -o options argument, or define lp spooler names based
on Sun spooler names and extract the proper spool queue for the Sun from $0
in the lp dequeuer.  Send me mail if you'd like more information on this;
I've already used this trick to spool print jobs over uucp.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc