Why Partition a Hard Disk

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.ARPA
Mon Sep 5 13:48:01 AEST 1988

In article <2916 at ttrdc.UUCP> levy at ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>I see another problem.  Presumably, the change over to a long inode was
>accompanied by a change from a V7-type file sytem to a different file system
>where directory entries support the long inodes (whether this be BSD 4.3 or
>some new kluge).

Not necessarily; that's a separate issue.  Guy noted that remote
filesystems could use inumbers > 2^16 even if the local filesystems
didn't.  As to directory scanning breaking, it would have to have
broken on the remote directories anyway.  I would hope that by now
everyone has acquired the POSIX-style directory access library and
is using it.