more on Ultrix 2.0 / Emulex disk throughput

G.Pavlov pavlov at hscfvax.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 13 10:46:52 AEST 1988

In article <3613 at phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, paul at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Paul Lansky) writes:
> Concerning Emulex QD series Disk controller behaviour under Ultrix 2.0
> > In article <615 at hscfvax.harvard.edu>, pavlov at hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) writes:
> >
> >   The problem appears to be that DEC decreased the timeout interval on disk
> >   requests......
>
> Can anyone tell me where this timeout occurs? Is it in the uda driver?
> its stragegy, start, or interrupt routine?  I have picked through the
> driver a bit and cannot see anything there that would cause this.  The
> problem is severe, however.....
> Thank you.  (Both Dec and Emulex seem very tightlipped about this.

  I was careful to say that this what was relayed to me by Emulex.  I do not
  have source code.  DEC was not helpful.  Emulex was difficult to deal with
  all around.  The entire incident chewed up most of what we saved on purchas-
  ing 3rd party controllers instead of KDA's.  On the other hand, those con-
  trollers let us use Fuji Beagles (M2333K's).

  greg pavlov.