more on Ultrix 2.0 / Emulex disk throughput

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Sat Sep 10 06:30:36 AEST 1988

>>In article <615 at hscfvax.harvard.edu> pavlov at hscfvax.harvard.edu
>>(G.Pavlov) writes:
>>The problem appears to be that DEC decreased the timeout interval on disk
>>requests. ...

In article <3613 at phoenix.Princeton.EDU> paul at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
(Paul Lansky) writes:
>Can anyone tell me where this timeout occurs? Is it in the uda driver?
>its stragegy, start, or interrupt routine?

I rather doubt it.  There is, however, a field in the MSCP `Set Controller
Characteristics' packet called `hosttimo'.  This is the only `timeout' I
know about.  The SCC variant (called, I think, SETCHR in the Ultrix driver)
is structured as:

struct mscpv_sccc {
	u_short sccc_version;		/* MSCP version number */
	u_short sccc_ctlrflags;		/* controller flags */
	u_short sccc_hosttimo;		/* host timeout */
	u_short sccc_usefrac;		/* use fraction */
	long	sccc_time;		/* time and date */
	long	sccc_xxx1;	/* ? */
	long	sccc_errlgfl;	/* ? */
	short	sccc_xxx2;	/* ? */
	short	sccc_copyspd;	/* ? */
};

I would like to know what the `?' fields are for. . . .