STARLan and remote printing

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.UUCP
Sat Sep 10 05:31:06 AEST 1988

In article <815 at mccc.UUCP> pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>I have a printer on a 3B2/400 client and I want to send printing jobs to
>it from the STARlan server 3B2/400.  The FM shows how to do this if the
>printer is connected directly to a STARlan NAU port, but not when it's
>connected to /dev/tty55 of a computer that's connected to the NAU port.

The usual way would be to set up uucp over the network, then send the
job via uux.  The uux can be done as an explicit command or from the
interface program of the lp spooler on the local machine.  If security
between machines is not a problem, there is a way to set up uucp with
no login checking which runs much faster (no pseudo-tty).  This setup
is versatile since the uucp connection can be changed to a different
media without any visible change.  There is some extra overhead imposed
by uucp's queuing and logging activity, though.
If the printer is not also used by the machine where it is attached,
you might mount /dev from the machine with the printer into (somewhere else)
the machine that will use it, and set up lp to access it directly.
However, you could not have the lp spooler on both machines accessing
the same physical printer.

Les Mikesell