Problem with find(1)

Rahul Dhesi dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP
Fri Sep 23 13:18:40 AEST 1988

In article <108 at forsight.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> roston at robotics.jpl.nasa.gov (Gerry
Roston) writes:
[ on using find ]

>Does anyone have any ideas how I can simply skip news/spool?

Do I understand correctly that you want "find" to list all files except
those inside news/spool?

If so, just use a pipeline like this:

    find / | grep -v '\./usr/spool/news/spool.*'

My "stuff" utility for MS-DOS, which implements a tiny subset of
"find", looks for a match of the the entire current pathname if the
pattern supplied after -name contains any slashes.  I find this much
more useful than only matching the filename part and recommend to those
helping UNIX evolve that future versions of "find" do the same.  (But
please be upward compatible.)
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi