Character echo at read time

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Thu Sep 8 21:01:20 AEST 1988

In article <371 at polyof.UUCP>, john at polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) writes:
> The other thing we did (for people who can't stand mixed input/output), is
> to add an option to the tty line disc to not perform any output (ttwrite)
> type calls to the terminal, if a line is in the middle of being typed.
> (pos > 0).  As soon as you hit a RETURN, the output that may have backed-up
> is flushed. (It's kind of like typing a '^S' before every character you
> type ahead on a new line, and a '^Q' when the RETURN is hit.)

The Amiga Console Device does this, and it's marvelous. (It actually does this
by locking the console window's layer while the line is being typed, so
graphics and other stuff going on behind its back are intercepted as well).

Cromemco once did an utterly horrid UNIX lookalike called Cromix, but it
had one nice feature... if you set the tty modes right, it would echo both
when you typed and when the tty was read if you had typeahead. Sort of like
what ksh does when you have complete lines of typeahead now.
--
Peter da Silva  `-_-'  Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
"Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?"            peter at ficc.uu.net