Character echo at read time

Greg Limes limes at sun.com
Wed Sep 7 05:41:10 AEST 1988

In article <3028 at tekcrl.CRL.TEK.COM>, eirik at tekcrl (Eirik Fuller) writes:
>This reminder gives me a sudden urge to hack xterm so that there is a
>separate row (something like a status line) in which typeahead gets
>echoed as it's typed.  But, if I wait long enough, this urge will pass.
>Besides, a vague memory tells me Apollo thought of this already, or
>something like it anyway.

A not-so-vague memory tells me that IBM thought of this many years back. At
least, that is how I remember interacting with the mainframe where I worked
during college. This feature also shows up in some terminal emulators, usually
in the guise of a "conference" or "line-oriented" mode.
--
Greg Limes [limes at sun.com]		semper ubi, sub ubi