Selectively disable login at specified line?

Clarence Dold cdold at starfish.Convergent.COM
Fri Sep 30 09:23:14 AEST 1988

In article <1227 at tuhold>, gfl at tuhold (Gerhard Fleischanderl) writes:

> We want to restrict login-access at a specified terminal line
> to a group of designated users, with the other ttys still
> accessible to all users.

Even though it isn't documented, UNIX SysV 2.2 contains a dialup password
feature, that can be invoked for certain lines, and selectively for
certain login initial programs.
Try strings /bin/login|grep passwd
to see if your login is looking for d_passwd.  If it is:
/etc/dialups is a list of the ports you *might* want to block:

	# /etc/dialups will contain all of the devices that
	# **might** present Dialup Password, depending on
	# entries in /etc/d_passwd.
	/dev/tty023
	/dev/tty024
	/dev/tty025
	/dev/tty026

/etc/d_passwd contains a description of the initial programs subject to
password if they are invoked from one of the 'dialup' lines:

	/bin/jsh:XfCQ/Cu1tfd9g:
	/bin/sh::
	/usr/bin/ksh::

	# /etc/d_passwd contains all 'initial programs' allowed
	# when invoked on a line specified in /etc/dialups

	# A line to allow uucp entry with no password:
	/usr/lib/uucp/uucico::

	# /bin/sh:13characterEncryption:
	# The encrypted password is drawn over via grep after applying
	# /bin/passwd to a superfluous entry in /etc/passwd.

	# Use links to different shell names to cause certain login ids
	# to require Dialup password, while other logins using the same
	# shell with a different name don't need a password.
	# In this example, restricted users show /bin/jsh as their shell
	# While the other users specify /bin/sh, actually linked.

	#-r--------   1 root  root   368 Nov 24 08:45 /etc/d_passwd
	#-r--------   1 root  root   189 Nov 24 08:46 /etc/dialups
	#-r-xr-xr-x   3 bin   bin  45470 May 19 15:32 /bin/sh
	#-r-xr-xr-x   3 bin   bin  45470 May 19 15:32 /bin/jsh

--
---
Clarence A Dold - cdold at starfish.Convergent.COM		(408) 435-5274