Selectively disable login at specified line?

Gerhard Fleischanderl gfl at tuhold
Thu Sep 29 03:52:06 AEST 1988

We want to restrict login-access at a specified terminal line
to a group of designated users, with the other ttys still
accessible to all users.
Our machine is a VAX 11/750 running Ultrix 1.0.

Is it possible to notify getty(8) or login(1) of a list of users
who are granted login at the specified line?
If no, are there alternatives to prevent users from coming in
via a certain line? (Manipulating those users' .cshrc or .login
files and forcing the login shell to kill itself if it comes up
at the "denied" tty seems unsatisfactory.)

I know of the "secure" option in Ultrix 2.x, but that would not
be sufficient, either.
We don't have a source licence, so we can't compile an enhanced
getty or login.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Gerhard Fleischanderl
--
Institut f. Angewandte Informatik, Technical University Vienna, Austria