TSET can speed up BSD UNIX

Andrew Klossner andrew at frip.gwd.tek.com
Tue Sep 27 05:35:03 AEST 1988

[]

		"You can log in with a vt100, and find out emacs, more,
		vi, etc. doesn't work properly.  The reason is that the
		pseudo-terminal is confused and thinks the number of
		rows is 34, instead of 24."

	"Right---but this bug does not occur in 4.3BSD-tahoe (`login'
	resets the tty size) ..."

So if I use the "login user" command in a window to become a different
user, my window size is lost?

We put this bugfix in init.  Just before it execs getty, it resets rows
and columns to zero.  (We couldn't do this in getty because getty may
be run in a window, put there by our "xstart" utility.)

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (andrew%tekecs.tek.com at relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]