TSET can speed up BSD UNIX

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Mon Sep 19 00:37:10 AEST 1988

In article <BARNETT.88Sep18073324 at mozart.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET>
[my what a big domain you have :-) ] barnett at mozart.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET
(Bruce Barnett) writes:
>Actually, there is a known problem with SunOS 3.x. You can log in with
>a vt100, and find out emacs, more, vi, etc. doesn't work properly.
>The reason is that the pseudo-terminal is confused and thinks the
>number of rows is 34, instead of 24. (do a 'stty everything' to see if
>this is the case).

>I believe this bug occurs when you run a job in the background, and
>log out before it terminates. The characteristics of the pty aren't
>reset.

Right---but this bug does not occur in 4.3BSD-tahoe (`login' resets the
tty size), and of course we fixed it here on our Suns too (there are
advantages to waiting for sources---disadvantages too: we are still
running SunOS 3.2).  I was in fact referring to logging in to a Vax or
Tahoe from a Sun, rather than the other way around.

>To fix this problem, you should put a 'stty rows 0 columns 0' in your
>.login file.

Or fix login, rlogind, and telnetd (but for that you need source).

>Also,  I frequently re-size my windows after login. So the size at
>login time is just the initial window size.

In fact, if you have the `new' rlogin protocol (which---of course!---
we installed on our Suns), you can use the simple alias

	alias resize 'echo -n "^[[8;\!:1;\!:2t"'

which works under both X and SunView.  This changes the window size on
the Sun, which sends a SIGWINCH, which triggers the Sun rlogin to send
the window size to the remote host, which sets the new window size.

I believe SunOS 3.5 already supports the new rlogin protocol.

>[Reality check time. Did I just correct Chris Torek? :-]

As they say, `close, but no cigar.' :-)

>Bruce G. Barnett  <barnett at ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett at steinmetz.UUCP>
>		uunet!steinmetz!barnett

(But what about all the JUNET stuff in the header?)