Papers on Layered UNIX systems like Apollo VRM, Apollo SR10, etc.

Steve Dempsey dempsey at handel.colostate.edu.
Fri Sep 23 13:19:11 AEST 1988

In article <164 at leibniz.UUCP> tpc at leibniz.UUCP (Tom Chmara) writes:
>Does anyone know where in the literature (USENIX proceedings, etc) I could
>find information on the pitfalls and difficulties in layering UNIX on a
>"Virtual machine"?  This VM would handle the native hardware, giving UNIX
  ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^         ^^

>a sanitized version of reality.  No, it's not my idea of a performance-
>oriented machine, but there is interest in building something like that
>here (small, fast nucleus offering services to UNIX and other OSes)
                   ^^^^^^^

>	Thanks for your time...
>		---tpc---
>--
>Tom Chmara			UUCP:  ..utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-di!leibniz!tpc

Hmmm... sounds like someone wants to run UN*X on IBM hardware.  This is
certainly an admirable goal.  I'm working on something along these lines,
but we all know IBM+UNIX=Vaporware :-), at least on a reasonably capable cpu.
My experience in searching for such literature as Tom is seeking has been
disappointing at best; perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places.  I would
also be interested in anything on the subject.

Steve
--
 /\             \Steve Dempsey,  Center For  \steved at longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu
 \/ _|/ _       _\Computer Asisted Engineering\dempsey at handel.CS.ColoState.Edu