transferring processes under csh

Greg Woods woods at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
Fri Sep 2 08:50:05 AEST 1988

In article <5709 at cg-atla.UUCP> duane at cg-atla.UUCP (Andrew Duane) writes:
>In article <1264 at mcgill-vision.UUCP>, mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP (der Mouse) writes:
>> In article <1074 at imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU>, hiebeler at pawl23.pawl.rpi.edu (David Hiebeler) writes:
>> > Does anyone know of a way to transfer processes between different
>> > incantations of csh?
>From my days in college, I remember TOPS-20 (Twenex) being able
>to do just about this. There was the DETACH command that
>detached the current login session from your terminal (there
>was still a command shell running, but not logged in). From
>this same "not-login" shell, there was an ATTACH command that
>would reattach a previously detached session.

If I remember right, Multics does the same kind of thing, though it
would save everything in your session, just like a re-startable core
dump.  Most usefull something bad happens.  I think it would even
work for system crashes, as long as they weren't too fatal.
--
						Greg Woods.

UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{ontmoh, ontmoh!ixpierre}!woods
VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada