transferring processes under csh

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Fri Sep 2 04:20:11 AEST 1988

Way out in left feild, here...

Probably the parent should see the child as having been killed by some
new signal.

One thing that would make it easier would be to have the process that
did the attach become the child's parent. It could intercede between
the child and the shell and give the shell its return status. It takes
an extra process slot, but what the hey.

I don't think that forcing a new environment on the process is going to
be easy enough to make it worth the effort. Remember, the environment is in
the address space of the process. Anything could have happened to it. On
the PDP-11, I had one program that was tight on space trash the environment
completely.

So, tough luck on screen-based applications unless the terminal is the
same and you have a "redraw" command, or else the attach process could
move stdout to a pipe and interpret the terminal codes itself...
--
Peter da Silva  `-_-'  Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
"Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?"            peter at ficc.uu.net