Weird problem with vi... "Not that many lines in buffer"

Michael I. Bushnell mike at turing.unm.edu
Tue Sep 27 18:27:45 AEST 1988

Gee...I hate to point it out, but there is an editor which allows you
to have "ex: " or "vi: " in a file you edit.  Can you say EMACS?

Actually, GNU Emacs does have a similar feature, but there is
something to be said for the manner in which you envoke it.  To set
the major mode, you put the string "-*- ModeName -*-" at the front of
the file somewhere.  Pretty unlikely to see this in normal text.  In
the general case, you put "Local Variables:" near the end of the file,
and a list of variables, and then "End:".

I think it was a good decision to make this something which will not
occur in normal text frequently.  In fact, the design is such that it
is easy to write files which describe this behavior without it getting
in the way.
                N u m q u a m   G l o r i a   D e o

       \                Michael I. Bushnell
        \               HASA - "A" division
        /\              mike at turing.unm.edu
       /  \ {ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax!turing.unm.edu!mike