Weird problem with vi... "Not that many lines in buffer"

Jay Schuster jay at banzai.UUCP
Thu Sep 29 10:24:39 AEST 1988

In article <508 at icus.islp.ny.us> lenny at icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>I just created this .signature file, and for some reason every time this
>is in a file, and I do a "vi" of that file I get the following message...
>
>".signature" 4 lines of 300 characters Not that many lines in buffer
>--
>Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         w: +1 (516) 582-5525
>lenny at icus.islp.ny.us      Telex: 154232428 ICUS         h: +1 (516) 968-8576
>{talcott,boulder,hombre,pacbell,sbcs}!icus!lenny         attmail!icus!lenny
>        ICUS Software Systems -- PO Box 1; Islip Terrace, NY  11752

vi has a feature that allows you to embed commands in the file you are
editing.  If, in the last N or first N lines of the file it finds a string
that goes `ex:', it assumes that what follows is a command to be executed.

I often put ex:set wm=15 in certain text logfiles I maintain.

Note that your .signature now has a Telex number that corresponds with that
format.

--
Jay Schuster				uunet!uvm-gen!banzai!jay
The People's Computer Company		`Revolutionary Programming'