Functional changes to Unix System-V; what do YOU think?

Greyham Stoney grahams at ausonics.OZ
Thu Sep 1 07:42:04 AEST 1988

Our computing centre at The University of Technology, Sydney is severely
paranoid. After a couple of users finally worked out how to use Semaphores,
Setuid and Shared Memory segments, we returned to Uni after our hols to find
that our programs no longer worked.... the following news item explained it to
us; you'll probably find the idea more amusing than we did at the time:

 >16 (ross) Tue Jul 19 16:23:47 1988
 >
 >   Functional changes to UTS/580
 >   =============================
 >
 >   During the Semester Break, modifications were made to the system to
 >   protect users from the anti-social behaviour of others. These changes
 >   impact the following facilities (with major effects indicated in
 >   brackets)
 >
 >	      -	the setuid/setgid file permissions
 >		(users can no longer set these permissions)
 >
 >	      -	change of ownership of a file, both user and group.
 >		(users can no longer change the	ownerships of any file)
 >
 >	      -	the System V IPC facilities :
 >		    1.	shared memory
 >		    2.	semaphores
 >		    3.	messages
 >		(these facilities can no longer	be accessed by users)
 >
 >   This news item is the only official notification of these changes, since
 >   the system manual entries will NOT reflect these changes.

Well; so what do you reckon?. Perhaps 'ls' or 'cat' will be the next thing to
go to stop such "antisocial behaviour". (Someone wanna explain how you can be
"Antisocial" with a semaphore??? :-). No, I think /bin/sh will be locked out
next - logging on IS pretty antisocial after all!... besides, users are a
hassle - they just get in the way.....

--
* Greyham Stoney:         grahams at ausonics.oz - Ausonics Pty Ltd, Lane Cove.
* (Time to PARTY!!!)      greyham at utscsd.oz   - The Uni of Technology, Sydney.