Why Partition a Hard Disk

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.ARPA
Tue Sep 6 13:49:58 AEST 1988

In article <2917 at ttrdc.UUCP> levy at ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>Why don't you post source for "the" POSIX-stype directory access library
>then?

I did that already, quite some time ago.  In fact I keep seeing it
turning up in other people's products.

The old version I posted had two known problems:
	(a)  On pre-4.2BSD UNIX filesystems, directory entries with
	names precisely 14 characters long weren't being properly
	null-terminated.  This is fairly easy to fix and of course
	it has been fixed in my current version.
	(b)  Systems with small stacks had problems allocating
	directory block buffers off the auto stack.  This too is
	easy to fix, by moving the buffers to static storage.  I
	forget whether I did that in my current version, but if I
	repost it I'll make sure that's been done first.

The final thing I would have to check before a reposting would be
that the code does properly implement the final IEEE 1003.1 notion
of what these routines should do.  They kept messing with the specs
long after they were adequate..

Send MAIL (don't post) if you think a posting of the updated
package to comp.sources would be helpful.  Also, if you have any
revisions or additions, such as an MS-DOS getdents(), please send
it for inclusion in the next release.  (I already have a ProDOS
version.)

	Gwyn at BRL.MIL (Internet)
	...!uunet!brl!gwyn (UUCP, I think)