null pointer problems and AT&T (was: att & osf)

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Thu Sep 1 02:39:33 AEST 1988

In article <8391 at smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>>a little bird tells me that *THE SVVS ITSELF* has NULL-pointer problems!!!
>
>???  What could this possibly mean?  I don't recall seeing any SOURCE CODE
>in the SVID!  And how could an INTERFACE SPEC have a "null pointer problem"?

Uh, Doug, SVVS, not SVID.  The SVVS is a great pile of source code for
checking SVID compliance.  And I have it on good authority that it does
indeed have null-pointer problems.

>I think one of the reasons that bugs have persisted for a long time in UNIX
>System V products is that it is a major hassle getting one removed...

Yes, I've heard this as well, and I believe it.  "Source code control"
with a vengeance! :-)
--
Intel CPUs are not defective,  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
they just act that way.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu