`uname' survey results -- bad news, it's #@!!%@# useless

Chip Salzenberg chip at ateng.uucp
Thu Sep 8 10:05:39 AEST 1988

According to tanner at ki4pv.uucp (Dr. T. Andrews):
>In article <531 at vector.UUCP>, chip at vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>> A nit:  under XENIX (SCO's version anyway), uname -n does indeed use
>> uname(2) (errrr, I mean uname(S)..blah).
>
>Most of the time, the this yields a bunch of NUL (zero) bytes for the
>system name, making it possible for a clever program to know to try
>for /etc/systemid (kernel not patched or re-built).

This is not the best solution.  If the Xenix kernel has a nodename, but the
sysadmin uses /etc/uuinstall or otherwise changes /etc/systemid, then uucp
will use the latter, ignoring uname(S).  All uucp-aware Xenix programs
should imitate this behavior.

Or just use "uuname -l", of course.  :-)
--
Chip Salzenberg                <chip at ateng.uu.net> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering                My employer may or may not agree with me.