`uname' survey results -- bad news, it's #@!!%@# useless

Dr. T. Andrews tanner at ki4pv.uucp
Sat Sep 3 08:34:32 AEST 1988

In article <531 at vector.UUCP>, chip at vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
> A nit:  under XENIX (SCO's version anyway), uname -n does indeed use
> uname(2) (errrr, I mean uname(S)..blah).

Most of the time, the this yields a bunch of NUL (zero) bytes for the
system name, making it possible for a clever program to know to try
for /etc/systemid (kernel not patched or re-built).

However, the latest "improvement" that I have seen puts three '+' chars
in there.  Now, how is THAT for a useful system name?  Time to hack
the prog to understand both NUL and '+' I guess.
--
...!bikini.cis.ufl.edu!ki4pv!tanner  ...!bpa!cdin-1!cdis-1!ki4pv!tanner
or...  {allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}!ki4pv!tanner