Was (Re: Plan 9?) Now moved to comp

iv at hal6000.UUCP iv at hal6000.UUCP
Fri Sep 2 08:11:00 AEST 1988

Brandon S. Allbery <allbery at ncoast> writes:
>> Also:  many (not all, but many) Xenix "System V's" are really Version 7
>> internally (/etc/ttys instead of /etc/inittab), and *all* Xenix 3's are
>> Version 7 instead of System III.

What??  Well, all that System III ioctl v7 emulation code that I had to fix
to work correctly in the 68000/XENIX kernel must have been my imagination.
Not to mention the v7 / sys III system call collision tables.

Seriously, though, you're way outta line here.  XENIX System III is a
port of System III with some V7 utilties and programs kept around (like
/etc/init, which perhaps is what is causing your confusion).

I have been maintaining Tandy's System III 68000 kernel and working on
the utility source for ~4 years now.  The kernel is System III, and so
are most of the utilities.  The same goes for XENIX System V (we have
parts of the SCO/uSoft source, so I'm speaking factually here as well).
----
[This information was provided by an individual and is not  nor  should
 be  construed  as  being provided by Radio Shack or Tandy Corporation.
 Radio Shack and/or Tandy Corporation have no obligation to support the
 information  provided.    The  author will, however, cheerfully accept
 mail.  This note will self-destruct in 5 seconds.  Good luck, %s.]

IV  (aka John Elliott IV)	 Domain: iv at hal6000.Tandy.COM
Tandy Systems Software		   UUCP: ...!killer!ninja!hal6000!iv
1300 Two Tandy Center		     or: ...!decvax!microsoft!trsvax!hal6000!iv
Fort Worth, TX 76102		  Phone: 817/390-2701; 9:30am-6:00pm CST