uucp via a rlogin session

Paul Traina pst at comdesign.cdi.com
Thu Sep 29 02:40:42 AEST 1988

I've got a rather ugly situation.  I'd like to be able to utilize more
serial ports than I really own.  I've got a Sun 3/280 that acts as our
gateway to the known universe,  but I can't adequately justify the purchase
of an ALM-2 (16 port serial card) to fit in it.  This leaves 2 serial
ports on the CPU, one goes to the console, one is our modem line.

I've heard that someone out there has managed to get UUCP to work over
rlogin sessions.  If this is the case, then I could attach another modem
(or several) to different workstations so that if a remote dialer logs
in as 'uucp' s/he will immediately be connected to the gateway.  To
this end, I munged a little script to do this:

#! /bin/sh
#
#	Act as a software terminal switch for remote uucp logins
#	obnoxious hack stolen from Tim's Managing UUCP book.
#
#	pst 15-aug-1988
#
#
gateway=comdesign

#me=`who am i | cut -d" " -f1 | cut -d! -f2`

if [ `hostname` != $gateway ]
then
	stty raw
	exec rlogin $gateway -8 -e\255
else
	exec /usr/lib/uucp/uucico
fi
exit

Unfortunately, this doesn't work.  The transfer takes place, the
shere messages start to fly, and then the rlogin session gets disconnected.
Does anyone know of a hack to make this work (invalid flags to rlogin?)?

I realize this whole thing is ugly,  but unless I wirewrap another serial
card myself, it's the only way things are going to happen.

Thanks,
   Paul

------
Paul Traina				To believe that what is true for
{uunet|pyramid}!comdesign!pst		you in your private heart is true
pst at condor.cdi.com			for all men, that is genius.