Altos (SCO?) V/386 - advisory locking help wanted.

Russell Brown russell at kings.co.uk
Sat Aug 19 01:10:01 AEST 1989

help?

I'm having problems with record locking on Altos UNIX V/386 (Series 1000
systems) which I'm lead to believe is derived from SCO V/386 (?)

Under Altos UNIX V/386 all record locking is MANDATORY (enforced) as opposed
to advisory (in direct contravention to the SVID to which Altos claim
compliance).  FYI - mandatory or enforced locking means that once locked,
other processes block when reading the locked record until the lock is
released.

Fiddling with mode bits on the file does nothing and I have tried all the
different flavours of locking calls to no avail - it's always mandatory :-)

However, I *have* run binaries on the 1000 that were compiled on an Altos
Series 2000 running XENIX - these correctly use advisory locking.  It does not
therefore take a great leap to see that the O/S supports advisory locking -
however, I'm tearing my hair out trying to find out how to compile C code on
the Series 1000 that will use advisory locking.

Can anyone out there help? Pretty please??
| Russell Brown                        | Voice: +44 832 72224             |
| Lady Lodge Systems                   | EMAIL: russell at kings.co.uk       |
| Chapel Row Cottage, Lutton           | UUCP: mcvax!ukc!{stc,logitek}!\  |
| Peterborough, PE8 5NE, England.      |            kings!russell         |