PASSWORD GUESSING

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US
Thu Aug 24 22:27:46 AEST 1989

In article <3638 at uokmax.UUCP> jeffm at uokmax.UUCP (Jeff Medcalf) writes:

I wrote:

>>I'd say its a virtual certainty any good programmer could break that
>>system in a very small amount of time.

>The problem is that you assume that you KNOW that this is the scheme
>being used.  In actuality, a true password breaking program would
>require checking:

He said this was the system being used.  Any information regarding
character set, word selection, etc. increases the ease with which
a password can be cracked.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Quote of the month club: ------------
VoiceNet: (512) 832-8832   Data: -8835  |  Speaking of Netnews Administration: