vi dumping core (summary)

Hans Buurman hans at duttnph.tudelft.nl
Tue Aug 15 04:45:20 AEST 1989

Two weeks ago I asked if anybody had seen vi dumping core (illegal
instruction) on a Sun4 running SunOs 4.0. The problem seems to be
related to the size of your environment. Below is a summary of the
base here at Delft University, showing that the bug has been known
to Sun for about a year, but has not been solved yet.

Apparently this information was not available to the Sun engineer
who answered my bug report last March. No wonder they haven't found
the bug yet !

	Hans

Disclaimer: any opinion expressed by me is my own, and not that of
Delft University. Disclaimers of the people below have been deleted
by me.
From: fletcher at cs.utexas.edu (Fletcher Mattox)

I've seen it here too.  4.0 on a sparc.  Last time I looked at
it, it seemed related to the size of the environment.  Anything
above 1400 bytes ( printenv | wc ) would cause vi to drop core.
I don't have sources, so I couldn't look closer.  If you solve
this, please let me know.

Fletcher
From: Daniel J. Bernstein <bernstei at hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu>

See whether your environment is very close to an interesting
number of characters long (like 1024). See if you can change
between dumping and not dumping by adding characters to a
random environment variable. Complain fiercely to Sun.
From: David Trueman <david at cs.dal.ca>

Yes, we have seen your problem.  It also was directory specific for
us (perhaps current directory in the environment).
From: glenn at mathcs.emory.edu (Glenn Barry)

Hi hans, we've been seeing that exact problem on a sun4/280 on
4.0.1 and 4.0.3 ... i thought it was something funky in our
shared lib libc (we made some mods) that was causing the problem
because i had not heard anyone else (until you) complain about
it.

I too get around it by unsetting $TERMCAP.

do you have a bug number on it and/or any news from sun
since you posted the article to USENET?  Has anybody else
told you they have seen it?
From: flee at shire.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee)

Yes, I reported this August last year.  vi dumps core when the length
of your environment + the length of the arguments passed to vi is
something like 1750 characters long.  There's a range of failure of
around 50 characters.  And there are also other ranges of failure,
probably in some trivial arithmetic sequence.

I got a response back that said the problem had been reported
previously, but noone had looked into it yet.  I don't know if it's
been solved yet.
From: dutrun.uucp!servio!penneyj at uunet.UU.NET (D. Jason Penney)

Yes, and the symptoms are quite similar -- just playing with your
environment table makes the problem go away.

Good luck getting Sun to fix it -- they still can't get a Bourne shell
to work properly (it dies when you define too many environment variables),
and I consider this problem to be trivial by comparison.