Sun's RPC/XDR code

Dominick Samperi samperi at marob.masa.com
Sun Aug 20 15:04:48 AEST 1989

I would like to start from Sun's PD RPC/XDR code and implement RPC's under
VAX/VMS (with the VMS/Ultrix TCP/IP and Socket library), the aim being to
enable a VMS system to make transparent remote procedure calls to a more
powerful UNIX server. I see that there are three versions of the Sun code
in the archive: rpc, rpc2, and rpc3.9. I assume that rpc3.9 is the latest
version. I also see that the relevant rfc's are 1057 (RPC) and 1014 (XDR).

Before I begin, I wonder if others have tried to do this. If so, could you
perhaps comment on your experiences, the difficulties involved, etc.?
Why don't vendors (like DEC) make life easier by including RPC/XDR with
their TCP/IP products? Is it because there is no official standard?

Thanks for any leads, comments, etc.
--
Dominick Samperi -- ESCC
samperi at marob.masa.com