wyse 50 summary

Dan Stromberg dstrombe at ucqais.uc.edu
Wed Aug 23 11:44:59 AEST 1989

Hello.

Here's the summary of responses I received to my request for solutions
to "magic cookie" problems with wyse-50 terminals.  Really, it's just
two of the letters tacked together.

Thanks to _all_ who replied.

Dan Stromberg at ...!ucbvax!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!uccba!ucquais!dstrombe
The version of system V curses (3.1) that I wrote works fine with
cookie terminals. There are really two different families
of these terminals. The HP family uses cookies of width 0,
i.e. a segment to be drawn in some video attributes
is marked at the two ends but the marks do not occupy screen space.
On the other hand, the TVI family uses cookies of width 1, i.e.,
each cookie occupies a screen position. In the first case, with
an appropriate algorithm, everything works fine and even efficient.
In the latter case, there are configurations that cannot be drawn
(e.g., drawing "ab" where b is in inverse video). In this case, the screen is
approximated by shifting right certain segments (yes, you will lose
some characters) while making use of white spaces for cookies where
appropriate.
	Phong Vo, att!ulysses!kpv
Absolutely!  Wyse-50 and Wyse-30's in particular.
I once worked at a site that used hundreds of Wyse 30 & 50 terminals
...got real tired of dealing with standout-glitch and came up with
the following:

These terminals support a "PROTECT" sequence on/off that has no
standout-glitch (xmc), while the regular "attribute" stuff enabled
with <ESC>G'some-character' gives a 1-space glitch.

All but the very old revision firmware on both terminals support a
visible PROTECT attribute that's selectable by the ol' SETUP menu.
(The older rev. terminals do support PROTECT attribute but only
 have the options REGULAR and DIM)

Got into your terminal's SETUP menu, and down-key to the 5'th
menu (on a wyse 30; I think 3'rd or 4'th on a wyse 50) and
right-key over to the PROTECT item.

Change PROTECT to REVERSE or REVERSE/DIM, and go over to the next
item -- ATTRIBUTE and change it to LINE;  then save the changes for
power-on.  (ATTRIBUTE change isn't necessary but looks a whole lot
nicer to the eye when inverting the remainder of a line rather then
the rest of the screen!).

The next thing to do is change your /usr/lib/something?/terminfo/w/wyse50
so that it uses the proper escape sequences to turn on/off the protect
sequence rather than the very-ugly \EG4 and \EG0.

Change:
standout to \E)
standend to \E(
glitch to 0

The termcap versions are :so=\E):se=\E(:sg#0:
I *think* the terminfo versions are

	smso=\E),
	rmso=\E(,
	xmc#0,

...then just run your new description through tic(1).
If you don't have a raw terminfo description, you might be able
to translate a termcap description with "captoinfo", I've seen
that utility on various SVR3.2 based releases.
If you can't find what you need, send me a message and I'll
try to dig up raw (xmc#0 version of) wyse50 terminfo for you.

Cheers,
Steve

steve at omni.com
...pyramid!koosh!steve