Unix network security

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US
Sun Aug 20 07:52:10 AEST 1989

In article <823 at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> scott at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:
>I know that this would pull "features" from both BSD and SysV, but I think
>that it would be trivial to do.  If I understand things right, an incoming
>remote login (rlogin, telnet) is associated with one of a set of ttyp/pty
>devices.  System V provides a "dialup password" facility that could provide
>the protection mechanism that Roy suggests, simply by specifying all of
>the pseudo-terminals in /etc/dialups and putting the appropriate shell
>entries in /etc/d_passwd.  To see if your version of /bin/login has these
>features, simply use strings and grep to look for the filenames.

The dialup feature is old enough that it should be present in the bowels
of BSD login.

At any rate, the login I wrote last year should be adaptable [ hear that
Dave? ] to BSD with little effort and it has dialups and every other known
feature, useful or not ;-).  Look under 'shadow2' or something like that
in the comp.sources.misc archives near you.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Quote of the month club: ------------
VoiceNet: (512) 832-8832   Data: -8835  | "Chocolate Teddy Grahams are just