Unix network security

Scott Hazen Mueller scott at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG
Sat Aug 19 02:12:17 AEST 1989

In article <3942 at phri.UUCP> roy at phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>Before allowing a shot at a username/password, require a network access
>password.  The same thing could be done for dial-up access, but this is
>less of a problem.

I know that this would pull "features" from both BSD and SysV, but I think
that it would be trivial to do.  If I understand things right, an incoming
remote login (rlogin, telnet) is associated with one of a set of ttyp/pty
devices.  System V provides a "dialup password" facility that could provide
the protection mechanism that Roy suggests, simply by specifying all of
the pseudo-terminals in /etc/dialups and putting the appropriate shell
entries in /etc/d_passwd.  To see if your version of /bin/login has these
features, simply use strings and grep to look for the filenames.
--
Scott Hazen Mueller| scott at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (ames|pyramid|vsi1)!zorch!scott
685 Balfour Drive  | (408) 298-6213   |Mail to fusion-request at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG