uucp for a database application

Harris harris at reavin.UUCP
Wed Aug 2 12:36:27 AEST 1989

    I realize this should probably have been posted to comp.databases but I
do not subscribe to that group.

    I am involved in the evaluation of a fairly large database management
system application which uses Oracle and runs under System V UNIX on Unisys
5000/80 and 5000/95 minicomputers.  The system will use uucp to transfer table
data from about 180 computers with Telebit 9600bps modems to a single 5000/95
with 10 modems.  All the transfers take place at night, when a maximum of
300,000 bytes is tranferred from each site, loaded into the central database,
sorted, processed, and sent out to each of the 180 sites with a maximum of
300,000 bytes.

    I would like to hear from anyone who has any good or bad experiences or
knowledge of a database application which transfers data via uucp.  I am
concerned that the system may be prone to error even though there are
complex shell scripts which check for errors.  I am also aware of the
difficulty in maintaining uucp connections with a large number of relatively
inexperienced system administrators.  A test on a 5000/80 with four 9600bps
lines showed a throughput of about 4800bps per line, I do not know what to
expect for throughput with 10 lines on a 5000/95.  Loading about 50meg of
test data into the Oracle database on a 5000/80 took 5 hours, processing and
sorting have not yet been tried.  As is obvious there many other questions
I could enumerate.  I would greatly appreciate E-mail with relevant experiences
or suggestions.  Thanks.

Harris Reavin
EER/SofTech		Phone: 703-761-2467
Tysons Corners, VA	UUCP: uunet!pyrdc!reavin