Can cu do call-backs to terminals?

Hershel Belkin belkin at teecs.UUCP
Sat Aug 12 00:51:40 AEST 1989

dial-back scheme (terminal calls computer, terminal hangs up, computer
then calls terminal), I received a quick reply excerpted below:

>From: uunet!idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl!willy (Willy Konijnenberg)
>To: teecs!belkin at lsuc
>Subject: Re: Can cu do call-backs to terminals?
>Newsgroups: comp.unix.wizards

>cu is not the right program for this. It won't give you a shell.
>There is the program 'ct', which is intended to be used for callback
>setups, . . . [edited]

Well, how simple!  My previous system didn't have "ct", and I had
never come across a reference to it.  But having received this
suggestion, I found that I do indeed have "ct", and it does exactly
what I wanted!!

In my case, after I dial in and log in, I simply exec a script
which runs ct in the background, tells me to disconnect, and exits.
I disconnect the modem, and wait a few seconds, until ct calls me
back.  When modem connection is established, ct starts a getty, and
I can log in again!  Fantastic.  Thanks for your help, Willy!
Hope this is of use to others as well.