Can cu do call-backs to terminals?

Pete French pcf at galadriel.bt.co.uk
Fri Aug 11 18:15:05 AEST 1989

>From article <960001 at teecs.UUCP>, by belkin at teecs.UUCP (Hershel Belkin):

> I thought there might be some way using "cu" to place the call-back, but
> I don't know how I'd then associate a getty with the connected line.
> (ie. "cu" calls, my modem answers, ... then what??)

Forget cu - it does far more than you need. I had to do this once and the
solution I came up with was to write a C program that called out on a hayes
modem line and when it got a 'CONNECT' message it forked a getty. For this to
work the process must attach stdin, stdout and stderr to the outgoing terminal
line and then set itself to be the head of a process group. If not then /dev/tty
will not point to the right device. I do not have the src available on my
current machine however (and I never quite finished it anyway...)

-Pete French.