What kinds of things would you want in the GNU OS?

gaf gaf at uucs1.UUCP
Fri Aug 4 06:29:00 AEST 1989

Something I'd like in an OS is an all encompassing type of select()
which would let me take data (events) from a variety of sources in
the same fashion.  For example, I'd like to wait on a semaphore, a
message queue, a pipe, and a TCP socket all at once (okay, this is
a contrived example).  A lot of code I write ends up being event driven,
and being able to wait on a variety of different events at once would
be useful.

It would be nicer still to be able to take (read) the events in a common
fashion.  A message queue might be read in a way similar to a file, but
with some message selection criteria attached.  The method of data delivery
could be chosen according to performance needs (speed [message] vs.
integrity [file]), but would be as transparent as possible to the program.

Just a thought.
--
Guy Finney					It's that feeling of deja-vu
UUCS inc.   Phoenix, Az				all over again.