Re^2: What kinds of things would you want in the GNU OS?

Guido van Rossum guido at piring.cwi.nl
Fri Aug 4 21:14:50 AEST 1989

gaf at uucs1.UUCP (gaf) writes:

>Something I'd like in an OS is an all encompassing type of select()
>which would let me take data (events) from a variety of sources in
>the same fashion.  For example, I'd like to wait on a semaphore, a
>message queue, a pipe, and a TCP socket all at once (okay, this is
>a contrived example).

Sounds like you need multiple threads in a single address space, or
light-weight threads as they are referred to in a discussion of the
subject in neighboring newsgroups.  I agree that they are *very* nice to
have in an OS.

--
Guido van Rossum, Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI), Amsterdam
guido at cwi.nl or mcvax!guido or guido%cwi.nl at uunet.uu.net
"You're so *digital*, girl!" -- Neneh Cherry