What differentiates a Workstation from a PC (Re: What should GNU run on (was Re: what kinds of things . . .))

Gregory Gulik gaggy at jolnet.ORPK.IL.US
Wed Aug 16 05:20:47 AEST 1989

In article <1528 at convex.UUCP> datri at convex.com writes:
>== THe only thing that differentiates a "PC" from a "workstation", so far as
>== I can tell, is...
>=that a PC still holds on to philosophies expressed in an 8-bit age while
>=living in a 32-bit (64?) age, against the "eagerness" with which
>=a workstation is equipped to make use of the newest technologies.
>
>Personally, I find it difficult to call something running MS-DOS with
>a fairly low-res screen a workstation.

Ok, get ready for Gaggy's definition of workstation:

Workstation:  A computer who's manufacturer is afraid of being sued
	by IBM for calling it a Personal Computer.

				1/2 * 8^)

Think about it, computer companies are having field day suing each
other because "their product is too similar to our product, nyah, nyah".

Therefor, someone had to make up a new name..

Ok, speaking of comparing 386's to a Sun 2/160.  Just today I was
comparing the load handling abilities of both.  Guess what.  I found
that the Sun (who's dhrystone rating is 1/5th of the 386's) was able
to handle a load almost as well as that "hot" 386...

Face it, the 386 isn't the greatest when trying to do more
than 1 thing at a time.

-greg

--
Gregory Gulik	Phone:	(312) 825-2435
	E-Mail: ...!jolnet!gaggy || ...!chinet!gag