What differentiates a Workstation from a PC (Re: What should GNU run on (was Re: what kinds of things . . .))

ody davidsen at sungod.crd.ge.com
Thu Aug 17 04:00:54 AEST 1989

In article <1324 at jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> gaggy at jolnet.UUCP (Gregory Gulik) writes:

| Ok, speaking of comparing 386's to a Sun 2/160.  Just today I was
| comparing the load handling abilities of both.  Guess what.  I found
| that the Sun (who's dhrystone rating is 1/5th of the 386's) was able
| to handle a load almost as well as that "hot" 386...

  How did you compare? I don't say you're wrong, but we have a 386 with
4 serial users, 4 on optical connectors, and ? many more on ethernet. It
gives reasonable performance, which doesn't happen on a 2/160 with load
average higher than about 2.

  I'm sure you can find some 386 with low enough i/o bandwidth and/or
small enough memory to choke under load, but comparably equiped I don't
see that the 2/160 will get the job done. My first Sun was a 2/160 and I
have a 386 now, so I know which one handles my load better ;-)
	bill davidsen		(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen