SYS V Bourne Shell .shrc file

Dan Mercer mercer at ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM
Wed Dec 27 15:54:09 AEST 1989

In article <1864 at sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM> wescott at micky.Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) writes:
:In article <1792 at ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> mercer at ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) writes:
:> The .shrc is also invoked prior to /etc/profile and ~/.profile on login.
:
:Nope.  After /etc/profile but before $HOME/.profile, mimicing csh's behavior.
:
:> Other SYSV users,  let me know if you have it.
:
:This is an NCR hack. If someone else has it, they've reimplemented it
:independently.  I hacked it into /bin/sh as a mechanism to export shell
:funtions against the day we get ksh.
:
:--
:	-Mike Wescott
:	 mike.wescott at ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

Well,  I for one really appreciate it,  since I use shell functions
excessively.   In fact,  I have one problem that I think is function
dependent - in using a shell function that changes directories (so that
my prompt shows my current directory) I occassionaly hang.  Characters
still echo,  but nothing happens.

Any clues.  Any more undocumented hacks.  And how did you ever slip
something past management?  Certainly not by telling them you were
making something more user friendly.

--

Dan Mercer