FCC doing it again...

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Sun Dec 3 03:45:17 AEST 1989

In article <21536 at adm.BRL.MIL-> AGRISCS at umcvmb.missouri.edu (Don Ingli) writes:
->I got this note from another list I am subscribed to.  Let me pass this on
->in hopes that someone has better info and maybe we all (as individuals)
->should send a letter...
(Header deleted - all pertinent text included - wjv)
->Please allow me to express my displeasure with the FCC proposal
->which would authorize a surcharge for the use of modems on the
->telephone network. This regulation is nothing less than an
->attempt to restrict the free exchange of information among the
->growing number of computer users. Calls placed using modems
->require no special telephone company equipment, and users of
->modems pay the phone company for use of the network in the form
->of a monthly bill. In short a modem call is the same as a voice
->call, and should not be subject to any additional charges.
->
->
->What do you all think???

Well of course the phone company argument is that it ties up lines longer,
etc,, etc , etc ....

Singling out a subset of a group isn't fair (IMHO) and computer modem users
are just a subset of all modem users, since a FAX machine contains a modem.
The proposal should consider all devices containing modems.  Then everyone who
owns a FAX will get involved, and should spell defeat for the proposal.
If computer modems only are affected I would suspect there would be grounds
for a suit of some sort.

Hey - how about a surcharge for slow modems, and let us with high speeds
(9600) go free.  After all we don't use the lines nearly as much :-) :-) :-)

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill at bilver.UUCP