FCC doing it again...

Michael Gersten michael at stb.uu.net
Sun Dec 3 10:33:59 AEST 1989

In article <11721 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <Nov.30.13.56.28.1989.10845 at pilot.njin.net> drears at pilot.njin.net (Dennis G. Rears) writes:
>> [How can they tell if it is a voice or modem call?]
>
>The same way they do now,
>or were you unaware that FCC tariffs require you to
>notify the phone company when you attach a modem to the line?

2 problems.
1. On a PER CALL, not per line basis, how will they tell if it is a modem
call versus a voice call?

2. My local company (GTE, los angeles) told me 4 years ago that they no
longer needed, nor cared, for information about modems because they
had upgraded their equipment.

Now, I know that the electronic switching systems can tell in one second
if a constant tone is on the line (and they use that to stop phreakers).
My question is: Without paying attention to the type of tone, and in
doing so violating privacy, how can they tell if someone is humming
or if a modem is squaking? (And what about trailblaizers which are not
constant tones?)

			Michael