Different disks with the same name

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.umd.edu
Thu Dec 14 05:51:42 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec13.052939.17192 at binky.uucp> roger at binky.uucp
(Roger Taranto) writes:
>However, how do you add two disks that answer to the same name, but
>have different geometries?

This is a problem indeed.  The root cause is VMS + DSA.  VMS does not
care very much about layout (it just uses contiguous regions) so it is
really only interested in total disk size.  As a result, vendors can
get away with calling a Wren V an `RA90' or `RA82'.  This is rather
similar to having Honda call their newest miracle a `Dodge Omni'.
Yes, they are both cars, but good grief.

>For example, I just added a SI RA90 ... 1629 cylinders, 15 tracks/cyl,
>69 sectors/track.  At boot time, it tells the kernel that it is a RA90.
>However ... a genuine RA90 ... is: 2649 cylinders, 13 tracks/cyl,
>69 sectors/track.  It too says that it's a RA90.  So, how do you handle
>this since 4.3BSD puts the partition table in the kernel instead of
>on the disk?

Get 4.3BSD-tahoe, which can tell fakes from Gen-Yoo-Wine DECwreck disks,
and which puts the partition tables on the media.
Domain:	chris at cs.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris