Different disks with the same name

Roger Taranto roger at binky.uucp
Wed Dec 13 16:29:39 AEST 1989

When adding new disks to a 4.3BSD machine, you have to make sure that
the disk partition table for that drive has been added to the kernel.
However, how do you add two disks that answer to the same name, but
have different geometries?  For example, I just added a SI RA90
look-alike to my 4.3BSD system; it's geometry is: 1629 cylinders,
15 tracks/cyl, 69 sectors/track.  At boot time, it tells the kernel
that it is a RA90.  However, let's say that I wanted to add a
genuine RA90 to my system; it's geometry is: 2649 cylinders, 13 tracks/cyl,
69 sectors/track.  It too says that it's a RA90.  So, how do you handle
this since 4.3BSD puts the partition table in the kernel instead of
on the disk?

-Roger
roger at binky.UUCP	...!{pacbell,ucbcad,rtech}!binky!roger