What should the password/security/userinfo/login system include?

Goldberg dsg at mbunix.mitre.org
Fri Dec 8 04:36:37 AEST 1989

In article <14652 at boulder.Colorado.EDU> bri at boulder.Colorado.EDU (Brian Ellis) writes:
>	   For one thing, the unix filesystem is not all that organized. I
>	   would recommend gloming things like /bin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin
>	   You might also eliminate the historical distinction between
>	   /etc and /bin. General cleanup and unification would be great.
>
>	   -brian ellis (bri at boulder.Colorado.EDU)

I agree that /bin and /usr/bin could probably be combined, although I
understand why they were originally separated (keep root partition
small and only have enough stuff in there so you could run in single
user mode) and I have no trouble putting executables from /etc into
/bin, but distinguishing /usr/local/bin and /usr/bin is something I
find very useful.  We try to keep everything delivered from the vendor
in their own filesystems, so that when we upgrade, downtime can be
minimized.  It makes a huge difference in our environment to be able
to mount /usr/local/bin with all the previous OS version binaries in
it and tell our users that some or all *may* not work until we get to
recompiling them as opposed to telling them that they *all will not*
work until we get around to recompiling them.  I suspect we are not
alone in this...
Dave Goldberg	             ARPA: dsg at mbunix.mitre.org
The Mitre Corporation        UUCP: linus!mbunix!dsg
MS B020
Bedford, MA 01730
617-271-2460