Read Notification on SYSV.3.2

Harald Tempelman harald at idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl
Tue Dec 12 21:13:48 AEST 1989

When scanning the code concerning STREAMS on SYSV.3.2 I noticed that I can do
something to get in my multiplexor driver a notification from the streams
head when a read is done on that stream.

To get such a notification, the multiplexor can send
an M_SETOPTS message to the streams head with the field 'so_flags' set to
SO_MREADON.  When this has been set the streams head will send an M_READ
message to my driver at the time a process will perform a read on that
stream.

But, this feature is not documented.  In the tutorials of SYSV.4, the M_READ
message still exists in an include file, but nothing else
concerning this option is mentioned.

Does anybody know about this read notification on STREAMS?
I would like to know if it works at the moment and if this feature also
exists in further releases of SYSV.  When this works I would also know if I
understood the working of this feature correct.

Thanks,
				Harald