Process Limits

Mike Israel mikei at ctdi.UUCP
Fri Dec 8 02:51:13 AEST 1989

Thanks to all those who have sent responses in what must be the fastest
turn-around ever.  Earlier I posted a question regarding process limits in
SYSV but I think I should have been more specific.

Essentially the problem relates to receipt of the message

       "spawn system process table is temporarily full"

I have, as suggested, checked my /etc/config/cf.d/stune file.  My
NPROC is set to 400  and MAXUP is set to 60.  (The upper limits are
400 and 60).  Nevertheless, after hitting 40 processes as seen by
ps -eaf, I am still unable to bring up another ingres application.
Note that all user existing processes are NOT owned by the same user
id, maybe 20 of them are owned by the same UID.

I have RTFM and have contacted both AT&T and Ingres about this problem.
Neither source has been much help.

Any ideas?

--
Michael A. Israel               ||  uucp: mikei at ctdi.UUCP
                               	||        ...!uunet!cbmvax!ctdi1!ctdi
Communications Test Design Inc.	||
West Chester, PA                || Please direct all complaints to /dev/null