Process limits

Mike Israel mikei at ctdi.UUCP
Fri Dec 8 02:09:18 AEST 1989

I am having a problem which I am hoping a wizard can shed some light on.

I am running AT&T Unix SYSV on an AT&T 386WGS with 16 meg of memory.  The
system is primarily used to run Ingres based applications and has 16 IPC
ports.

The problem I am having is that once I reach approximately 40 processes
(As seen by "ps -eaf") an attempt to run another Ingres application
produces the message

    "spawn system process table is temporarily full"

I am fairly certain that I have run at least this many processes on other
386 systems without similiar problems.  Is there an upper limit to the
number of processes I can have running?  Is this limit adjustable
without modifying source code?  How would I adjust it if so?

Any insights, ideas, solutions would be greatly appreciated.  Please respond
by mail and/or post a message to this conference if you can shed some light
on this rather dismal situation.

Thanks,

--
Michael A. Israel               ||  uucp: mikei at ctdi.UUCP
                               	||        ...!uunet!cbmvax!ctdi1!ctdi
Communications Test Design Inc.	||
West Chester, PA                || Please direct all complaints to /dev/null