How do you tell a wizard?

Arthur S. Kamlet ask at cbnews.ATT.COM
Tue Dec 5 08:13:45 AEST 1989

In article <917 at uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin at primate.wisc.edu writes:
>From article <955 at umb.umb.edu>, by campbell at umb.umb.edu (Jim Campbell):
>> Some years ago, I saw a description of how to tell the
>> level of the individual with respect ot their UNIX knowledge.
>> ie:  NOVICE:
>>      Calls vi vye
>>      etc
>
>I have *never* heard *anyone* call "vi" vee-eye.  Including wizards.
>
>Paul DuBois
>dubois at primate.wisc.edu

I have a copy of a paper written by Bill Joy (Revised for Versions
3.5/2.13) by Mark Horton, dated 9-16-80:

"This document provides a quick introduction to vi. (Pronounced
vee-eye.)"
----
This is a quote from the monthly "Most frequently asked questions"
article for December:

< [Last changed: $Date: 89/12/01 14:50:10 $ by $Author: sahayman $]

< This article contains the answers to some Frequently Asked Questions
< often seen in comp.unix.questions and comp.unix.wizards.  Please don't
< ask these questions again, they've been answered plenty of times
< already - and please don't flame someone just because they may not have
< read this particular posting.  Thank you.

< This article includes answers to:
< ...

< 19) How do I pronounce "vi" , or "!", or "/*", or ...?

    You can start a very long and pointless discussion by wondering
    about this topic on the net.  Some people say "vye", some say
    "vee-eye" (the vi manual suggests this) and some Roman numerologists
    say "six".  How you pronounce "vi" has nothing to do with whether
    or not you are a true Unix wizard.
--
Art Kamlet  a_s_kamlet at att.com  AT&T Bell Laboratories, Columbus