BSD Unix books for beginners

Dick O'Connor djo7613 at blake.acs.washington.edu
Tue Dec 5 05:24:03 AEST 1989

Sorry if this is a little "light" for this group, but my small staff is
preparing for a switch to a BSD 4.3 Unix system, and needs advice on some
decent books to guide us through some of the basics.  We're experienced in
MSDOS, Primos and CDC's NOS, but only two of us have dabbled in Unix so
far, and that just enough to use rn and mail!  There's only one C programmer
among us, so we need to start a bit lower than "Operating System Design".
Mostly, we do applications programming, but we've got a "familiarity"
hurdle to overcome before we can even get proficient at that on this new
machine (actually, an old VAX, but that's another story...).

What do you think about Mark G. Sobell's "A Practical Guide To The Unix
System"?  This is the kind of book I think we're shooting for.  Any and all
suggestions will be gladly received; pump your *own* book, if you like!!

"Moby" Dick O'Connor                            ** DISCLAIMER: It would
Washington Department of Fisheries              ** surprise me if the
Olympia, Washington  98504                      ** rest of the Department
Internet Mail: djo7613 at blake.u.washington.edu   ** agreed with any of this!